Let us be Your Go-To Children’s Dentist in Colorado Springs, CO!
When your baby first smiles, you will see an endearing toothless grin. Within a few months you will notice a glimmer of something white, or you may hear a clunk when the feeding spoon touches the first tooth. By taking a few steps early in your baby’s life, you can establish a pattern that will ensure your baby continues to have a healthy smile. Our Kids dentist in Colorado Springs, CO is available to help you establish a proper oral health care plan for your child.
Help your Children’s Teeth and Gums Last a Lifetime
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that parents take action early to ensure the health of their children’s teeth and gums into adulthood. With help from our Colorado Springs, CO board certified pediatric dentist, here are some ways that you can help your children maintain strong, healthy smiles that last a lifetime:
- Visit the dentist early. Good dental health habits should begin with an introductory visit to a pediatric dentist around a child’s first birthday.
- Brush teeth at least twice a day. Regular brushing removes plaque from teeth to help avoid unwanted cavities.
- Floss daily. Flossing removes food debris from in between the teeth and along the gum line.
- Healthy diet. Encourage a well-balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks, which promote decay.
- Wear a mouthguard. To protect and reduce injuries to the mouth and teeth during various activities and sports.
Start Visiting One of Our Dentists in Colorado Springs, CO during Infancy
We recommend a dental visit for your child at age 3. We also encourage you to schedule a “happy visit” for your child. This visit is used so that your child can watch a parent or a sibling have their teeth cleaned. We feel building a trusting relationship early lasts a lifetime.
At your child’s first dental visit, our Colorado Springs, CO children’s dentist will:
- Check your child’s teeth for decay and signs of early developmental problems
- Explain how to care for your child’s teeth
- Answer any questions or concerns you might have
Cleaning a child’s teeth should begin when the first tooth is visible, because teeth are susceptible to decay as soon as they appear in the mouth. Wipe your baby’s teeth and gums clean after every feeding with a soft, damp washcloth or gauze pad.
A leading cause of tooth decay among young children is known as “baby bottle syndrome,” which is when an infant is allowed to drink from a nursing bottle containing milk, formula or fruit juice during nap time or at night and the baby falls asleep with the bottle in his or her mouth. Prolonged exposure to the sugars and acids in these liquids, that pool around the teeth, can cause discoloration and decay.
Caring for your child’s teeth begins early and often. By doing so, you are setting your child up for a lifetime of healthy permanent teeth and overall dental health. Begin proper dental care for your child immediately and with the initial onset of your child’s first tooth, visit us, your Colorado Springs, CO dentist, for assessment. You can pave the way for a lifetime of proper dental health for your child.